My older daughter Kate recently turned 30. She mentioned that she doesn't feel like a grown-up...but what does that mean? I think she is responsible and reliable, knows when and how to act appropriately, makes good decisions (Ha! most of the time), etc. I think she is a grown-up and in those ways, I consider myself "grown-up" also.
The underlying internal debate in her blog seems to be "Am I still going to have fun in life? Am I still going to be spontaneous, energetic, full-of-life, carefree, and happy now that I'm 30?" My answer is a big YES!
Kate, maybe you are wondering how you can get older and still FEEL young...
I think it's quite possible, but you must be intentional in continuing to live your life so that you can always feel young. Consider the advice from your mom, the oldest person in the picture above and a person who doesn't like to feel "old" either...
Sherre's Advice for Staying Young:
1. Be committed to something important. Whether it be children's literacy (picture shows a group of us in Senator Kit Bond's office on Capital Hill to advocate for Early Literacy funding) or going door-to-door to encourage people to get out and vote (Kate) - life is good when you have a cause/purpose greater than yourself.
2. Take care of yourself. I've realized over the last few years that no one else can make the healthy choices I need except for me. Taking care of me needs to be my number one priority if I want to live a good life as I age. Exercising at least 4-5 times per week and healthy eating have really helped me feel better and look better. I'm also investing in my future health this way.
3. Surround yourself with good friends and those who love you. I am so lucky to have a great husband - the love of my life - and wonderful children and several close friends and a host of great colleagues. Great relationships take time and effort (commitment) and are always a give-and-take.
4. Don't just enjoy the moment...Be grateful for all the moments. It is easy to get caught up in a single exciting event and then be deflated after that event is over. Consider that most of us lead the lives of royalty by the standards of 90% of our world's population. I try to remind myself of the opportunities I've had and continue to have in life. I try to be mindful that I'm not just "lucky," but that I've been directed and protected by the people God has placed and will place in my life. Ultimately, I believe that God's intentions are being carried out by every person's actions in this temporary world. And while I may not understand His reasons, I know we are all part of His plan. This faith in God has given me comfort and peace throughout my life.
5. Love yourself...just the way you are and where you are at this point in life. You don't have to be perfect, you don't have to follow the latest styles, but you do have to love who you are. I've worked with too many children who think they have to be perfect or that they aren't smart enough. Those kinds of attitudes are detrimental to any kind of progress in learning as they are to any kind of progress in becoming the person you want to be. Be patient with yourself. Life is a process. No one thing or event defines you or completes you. Keep yourself open to possibilities, but don't let life's events dictate your happiness or define who are. Your choices define who you are.
6. A birthday is just one more day...be grateful for it. It's better than the alternative! Seriously, I know that if I live by my own advice above, I will continue to enjoy life and feel excited about every new day and its possibilities. (Ken and Marianne Estes, Marianne and Bob Fletcher, Jan Webb, Kathy and Jeff Munzinger, and all my friends who inspire me to be a better person...I thank you!)
To my daughter Kate...Happy Birthday! I wish you many more to come!
No comments:
Post a Comment